Dear teachers and staff,
Brrrrrrrr…….. it’s cold outside!!
As we are in the middle of cold season, I thought it would be nice to share my remedy for preventing a cold and/or staying healthy when a bunch of others are coughing and sneezing all around us!
1) Buy fresh lemons - organic if possible. First thing in morning on an empty stomach, squeeze all the juice from one lemon into a tall glass of room temperature water. (Use a strainer so you get only the juice in the cup.) Drink up! Do not eat anything for 20 minutes as the lemon-water cleanses your system.
2) Eat fresh, raw fruit for breakfast. If you’re still hungry, add some raw almonds or walnuts. If you’re still not inspired, how about oatmeal (cooked with butter is ok, but not milk).
3) Have at least one salad each day, two if possible.
4) Worst food during cold season is dairy. Stay away! Also stay away from sugar and white flour products.which weaken the immune system and deplete our vitality. Best foods to keep the system clean and fortified include fruit (raw only), vegetables, nuts, seeds, beans, whole grains, and a small amount of chicken or fish. Note: french fries and ketchup do not count as two servings of vegetables!
5) Keep windows open a crack during the day and at night to keep fresh air circulating.
6) Drink a lot of water or herbal tea throughout the day.
7) Try to get to sleep early. Yes, we all know that’s hard!
All year I feel grateful to you but during the winter I feel particularly grateful. The world should only know how hard it is every day to get up early, brave the cold, and be there for students day in and day out. Thank you!